Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Julep Maven subscription (June 2013-now!)



Okay.... I guess I should explain.

I was hooked on Julep because they offered the first box free. (And still do! Use code FREEBOX here, and grab one for yourself! #shamelessplug) I have been receiving Julep boxes (on those months that I opt in, anyway) for almost a whole year now, and I'm still a big fan, mostly thanks to the fantastic quality of the polish, the ease with which you can cancel a box, and the variety of colors.

Julep is advertised as being "4-free":  no formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP. Butter London, a comparable product, is priced at 15.00 for a .4oz bottle. In the Maven boxes, Julep polishes come out to 6.63 for a .27oz bottle. Making Julep about 24.55/oz and Butter 37.50/oz. In practice, every Julep polish I've tried has lasted at least a week (nearly all of them closer to 1.5 or 2 weeks) without (or with minimal) chipping, compared to the Butter polishes I've tried that can't seem to last more than three days without peeling or flaking off in large chunks. In other words: Julep is better.

Another great thing about the Julep subscription is the ability to cancel a box. There's a decently sized window in which to choose which box you'd like (yes, you are initially assigned a box based on your quiz, but you aren't held to it and can change each month based on which box you want), add any extras, and/or choose to skip the month. There's no fee to skip, and if you then decide you want it after all, you can opt back in!

Another great feature of the subscription is the Jules: for subscribing, you receive 100 Jules, and then 300 Jules for every box you choose to purchase after that - 750 if you pay for the monthly upgrade. On your birthday, you get 200 Jules, and once you've been a member for a year (not buying every box, just being a member) you get 500 Jules. Also, for each friend you refer who buys a box, you get 1000 Jules. (Now would probably be the time to share my referral link.... #shamelessplug2). You can use Jules to pay for boxes (2000 Jules per monthly box) or add-ons (750 Jules per polish, slightly less - between 500 and 650 - for things like polish remover pads, nail files, or decals).

And speaking of add-ons: if you don't get a nail file with your first box (I think I did, but I don't remember), you might want to think about getting one. The Julep files are really nice, about six inches long and quite thick, with one side a finer grit than the other. I've had the same one for the whole time I've been subscribed, and it shows virtually no signs of wear despite fairly frequent use. 

Finally, my last favorite thing about the service - and also, the one thing I sometimes have trouble with: there are a ton of colors. I have 42 Julep polishes, and not a single one is identical. However. There are a couple (literally, two of the 42) that are disappointing in their opacity. The solution, however, is as simple as putting down a lightly colored base coat.

Oh, and that reminds me of another thing I love about Julep polishes: they have swatch stickers. Because, as we know, polishes don't always look the same in the bottle as they do out. Nearly all Julep bottles (34/42) have stickers on top that allow you to swatch the color inside. The rectangular cap comes off of the wand handle (glad I learned that) so you can swatch onto the cap's sticker and then allow it to dry. Of the eight I have that are without stickers, three have metallic caps, and one is actually the oxygen nail treatment, which is a pale pink neutral that isn't intended for use as a polish. I've found that my more recent polishes have all had "swatch me" stickers, except for the free Valentine's day polish I received in February, which had a metallic cap. Also; "swatch me" stickers are available for purchase or as an add on with your box, if you want more for Julep polishes or your other polishes at home.

Long review, but I had a lot to say! I'm still a huge fan of Julep even though it's been almost a year. While I have skipped months due to lack of funds or disinterest in offered products, I have yet to be disappointed by anything I've ordered. And if the only downside is price (though the quality makes up for it) and the occasional disappointing color (less than 5% of the colors I've received), it really seems worth the risk.

I should note, however, that I do not often purchase their beauty products, so I can't speak to the quality of their cosmetics, only polishes. 

If you want to reward me for the massive amount of time I just spent writing this review (and I'd appreciate it), and/or if you're interested in trying out Julep, please use my referral link! #shamelessplug3

'Til the next box review!
-BoxxyGirl

No comments: